I was in San Francisco last weekend and on the flight there, I did a little math to figure out how many times I’ve visited the Bay Area in the past 3 years – nine! If that’s not an indication of how much I love San Francisco, I don’t know what is! We got married in Napa last July, so we made a couple of trips for planning, but most have been for fun. My sister-in-law and one of my best friends both work for Google in Mountain View, so I’ve always got a place to stay (and the best hosts!). If you haven’t been before, or if you want some of my tried-and-true suggestions, please reference the list of my favorite food, drink spots and activities below! Also, please offer any recommendations – I’ll be going back again soon (hopefully!), and always love to try new places.
Other San Francisco posts here. Pictures from this weekend below!
- The Plant (Various): Hands-down, one of my favorite restaurants in America – there are so many delicious vegetarian options that I rarely order the same thing twice (try them all!)
- Radish (The Mission): The veggie burger is so unique and delicious – very nutty (add cheese!)
- Mission Cheese (The Mission): A cheese and wine lovers dream
- Dosa (Pacific Heights): The Indian food here is melt-in-your-mouth delicious – try the paneer masala dish
- Zazie’s (Haight Ashbury): Holy cow – the line here is indicative of how good the food is – come early for breakfast!!
- La Boulange (Various): Starbucks didn’t decide to use La Boulange baked goods for no reason! I live for the coffee + oatmeal in the humongous ceramic bowls
- Tacolicious (Various): I wouldn’t normally recommend Mexican food this far from the border, but it’s worth it! Amazing guacamole and Marina Girl Salad (YUM)
- Helmand Palace (Russian Hill): My first taste of Afghani food and I hope not my last! Be adventurous!
- Kokkari (Financial District): Hands down, my favorite restaurant in SF – the baked feta appetizer is all you really need, but you’ll want and love everything else too
- Sweet Maple (Pacific Heights): Famous for their bacon, this place has some amazing veggie/vegan options (great salads and oatmeal)
- Millenium (Tenderloin): One of the best all-vegetarian restaurants I’ve ever been to… get a bunch of dishes amongst your table and share!
- Reveille Coffee Co (Financial District): Modern, glass wall coffee shop with amazing drip coffee and the tastiest homemade granola you’ll ever try
- Woods Polk Station (Russian Hill): Tiny little beer (and wine) bar with a selection of empanadas (the cheesy aroma will lure you in)
- The Brick Yard (Cow Hollow): This yuppie bar has a great atmosphere and gets pretty darn crowded during happy hour
- Rickhouse (Financial District): I’m obsessed with the front doors alone, but the entire bar (quiet lounge area upstairs) is really cool (with great cocktails!!)
- Cultive (Cow Hollow): My favorite frozen yogurt in San Francisco – the flavors taste fresh and not artificial (or as anti-artificial as cookies ‘n cream froyo can be!)
Restaurants on My “Must Try” List
- Mingle with the hipsters and sip on Ritual Coffee in the Mission
- Rent a GoCar and drive around the city in this baby-sized Smart Car
- Grab San Francisco’s famous Blue Bottle at the iconic Ferry Building
- Sip on New Orleans style iced coffee from Blue Fog Market
- Act like a paparazzi in front of the Golden Gate Bridge
- Shop at boutiques on Union and Fillmore Streets
- Explore Chinatown
- Smell the amazing bread being freshly made at Boudin Bakery at Fisherman’s Wharf
- Reminisce the greatness of Full House and sit in the park in Alamo Square (love the Painted Ladies!)
- Take pictures on and walk down Lombard Street
- Go to the gorgeous sandy beaches of Point Reyes (where we took our engagement pictures)
- Check out the redwood trees at Muir Woods
Activities on my “Must Do” List
- Bike to Sausalito
- Take a Cable Car Ride
- Visit the SF MOMA
- Go to the Disney Museum
- Play in the Golden Gate Park (and rent a paddle boat at Stow Lake)
- Do a night tour of Alcatraz
Other City Tours
Me (6.5 months preggo belly!) and Georgia